Speaking of random Hot Wheels Super finds...

By
Advertisement

Well, that was fun...

The scalping article yesterday spurred a few comments, to say the least.  It got a little ugly at times, and it seemed that no one was spared at least a little vitriol, but lost in some of that were some great comments about all aspects of the hunt, whether they like how collectors like Joe hunt or not.  And whether you like Joe or not, I give him credit for working with me on the piece, considering he knew more than a few darts would be thrown his way.  And yikes, they kept coming.

I think it is totally fair to not like what Joe aka @diecast_hunter does.  Whether I am for what he does or not, it doesn't really matter.  It surely is not for ME to do it that way.  There will always be folks who have the desire and time to create a strategy, head out at night, and hit as many stores as they can.  And we can't control what they do with those models.  Anyone can do it, if they want to create a schedule conducive to it.  Right or wrong, that is part of the hobby, and I thought it would be worth exploring.  I think it was.

But I hope everyone read far enough to see that I am much more in favor of the random find.  I personally think it is more fun.  I don't have the time, nor have the desire, to do a series of overnight hunts.  I don't want to know when bins hit.  Supers are not remotely worth that time or effort in my opinion.  I like stopping into a store and coming across that surprise find.  It makes it fun, and not at all a task.

Having said that, how strange was it that on the day I talked about my preferred method of hunting vs the "scalping" method, that I walk into a random Dollar Tree in Heber, Utah, and find pegs that look like this:


And after looking down the first column and up the second, in the second-to-last row I discover this:


A random Super find!  Only my second Super find of 2016, and a mere 4 days after my first find of 2016, a green Dodge Daytona at a rural Utah Walmart.


And it is the Acura NSX, one that I have wanted to find and thought that window had closed.  I have one that I was able to acquire from a friend for the loose collection, but this one is just a little sweeter since I found it in the store.  And plus, I don't open the store-found Supers, because I like to document where, when, and how I found it.

And this one is a sweet one.  I really love the on-the-pegs finds, and I especially love the non-Walmart or Target finds.  The more random the better.  That is why my Nova Wagon Super find in a small market in Blanding, Utah remains my favorite Super find ever.  Go look up Blanding.  It is remote.

And of course, finding two Supers in four days after not finding any during the first 6 months of 2016 makes the story even better.  Not to mention I found this one on the day I had to duck firebombs thrown my way because I was featuring a "scalper".

Am I doing this to gloat?  Not at all.  I am sharing my find, which is part of the deal.  This is just why I MUCH prefer the random find.  It makes for a story.  Think about how many times you hear the "random find" story.  "The wife sent me for milk, and I wasn't even going to check the toy aisle.  I am glad I did!"  Or "This Walmart never stocks, but I stopped by anyway.  Of all the days, it was hanging right in front!"

Supers frankly work because they are random.  Some say Supers should be a mail-in.  How many of you would buy 20 cars to mail the cards and a check for shipping and handling to get a Bad Mudder Super in return?  Not many of you.  But what if you find a Bad Mudder Super on a random stop at Target?  You'd scoop it right up.  Why are we seeing photos of the 2016 Boombox all of a sudden?  Because it is a Super.  People aren't buying Supers because of the casting or because they sit on Real Riders.  If that was the case every Hot Wheels premium line would sell out in seconds.  It is because you have to be lucky to find a Super.

Unless of course you make finding Supers a top priority.  All you need is a strategy and a lot of nights.  And if you do, more power to you.

I will just enjoy the random, like I did yesterday...


My last two Super finds:




The random Super find collection now:




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hot Wheels (128) Matchbox (90) First Look (61) 2015 Hot Wheels (52) 2016 Matchbox (44) 2016 Hot Wheels (43) Japan Booster (27) Wheel Collectors (27) Matchbox Gathering (25) 2015 Matchbox (24) Tomica Limited Vintage (24) Just Unveiled (21) New Models (21) Nissan (20) Lamley YouTube (19) Case Report (16) Super TH (16) BMW (15) Skyline (15) Toyota (13) Cars Modification (12) Kyosho (12) JDM (11) Datsun (10) Ferrari (10) Lamley News (10) police vehicles (10) Lamley Customs (9) Porsche (9) as is the custom 2 (9) Case Unboxing (8) Dodge (8) Golden Age of Matchbox (8) pickups (8) Ambassador Report (7) Car Culture (7) Ford (7) Greenlight (7) Just Released (7) Matchbox Ambassador (7) VW (7) variation alert (7) 2017 Matchbox (6) Larry Scaduto (6) Mazda (6) Mini Cooper (6) Mustang (6) RLC (6) Tesla (6) customs (6) Alfa Romeo (5) Cadillac (5) Corvette (5) Hakosuka (5) Honda (5) Lamley Sale (5) Minivans Custom (5) Zamac (5) variations (5) Acura (4) Land Rover (4) Mercedes-Benz (4) Retro Entertainment (4) Subaru (4) Volkswagen (4) hobbyDB (4) preproduction (4) wagons (4) Audi (3) Breaking Bad (3) Camaro (3) Carney Plastics (3) Chevy (3) Cool is Cool is Cool (3) Curitiba Customs (3) DLM (3) Datsun 510 (3) Diecast Storage (3) Euro Style (3) Extreme car modification (3) Ford GT (3) Gran Turismo (3) Hot Wheels Heritage (3) Hot Wheels Hunting (3) Japan Historics (3) Japanese Nostalgic Car (3) Jay Kho (3) Lamborghini (3) Mack (3) Mopar (3) New Model (3) R34 (3) Super Silhouette (3) Tomica (3) diecast displays (3) finds (3) fire vehicles (3) prototype (3) unboxing (3) 1/43 (2) 2014 Hot Wheels (2) 2014 Matchbox (2) 5-pack (2) A Tale of Two (2) A&J Toys (2) Aoshima (2) Aston Martin (2) Auto World (2) Carriage House Models (2) Datsun 510 Day (2) Ethan (2) Falken (2) Fiat (2) Grachan (2) Hitch & Tow (2) Ignition Models (2) Isuzu (2) Japan (2) Jeff Koch (2) Jun Imai (2) Lamley Finds (2) Majorette (2) Matchbox Best of the World (2) Mattel (2) Miguel Lopez (2) Mitsubishi (2) Model of the Day (2) NYPD (2) Pop Culture (2) Prepros (2) RLC exclusive (2) Road Trippin (2) Seibu Keisatsu (2) Sterling Protectors (2) Superfast (2) The Simpsons (2) Tokyo Auto Salon 2010 (2) Tomica Premium (2) UCC Coffee (2) Volvo (2) Wagon (2) Walmart (2) error (2) no tampo (2) 2017 Hot Wheels (1) AE86 (1) Airstream (1) AnMinh To (1) Anime Cars (1) Auto Salon (1) BRE (1) Bburago (1) Best of the RLC (1) Boulevard (1) Challenger SRT-8 (1) Charawheels (1) Chevelle (1) Chevrolet (1) Chrysler (1) Comic Con (1) Cool Classics (1) Creative Options Case (1) Custom Star Wars Van (1) Custom classics with a modern twist. (1) DR30 (1) Daytona Coupe Le Mans Edition (1) Dekotora (1) Delorean (1) Derek Albert (1) Dirk Schleuer (1) FDNY (1) Facebook (1) Facebook Live (1) First43 (1) Fisker (1) Fukuoka Auto Salon (1) GEMR (1) Ghe-O (1) Gift Packs (1) Grandturismo (1) Gulf (1) Gumpert Car (1) Holden Sandman Concept (1) Holy Grail (1) Honda Odyssey (1) Hot Pursuit (1) Hot Wheels Convention (1) Initial D (1) JDM Legends (1) Jaguar (1) Jeep (1) Johnny Lightning (1) Jurassic Park (1) Kool Kombi (1) Lamley Charities (1) Lamley Deal (1) Lamley Fundraising (1) Lotus (1) Maisto (1) Maserati (1) Matchbox Custom Contest (1) Matchox (1) Mercedes (1) Mercury (1) Michael Heralda (1) Mistubishi (1) Modelmatic (1) My Collection (1) National Parks (1) Nissan Isuzu (1) Nissan Jam (1) Nitto Tire (1) Phil Rielhman (1) Pierce (1) Playsets (1) Plymouth (1) Promo models (1) RLC Preview (1) RTE (1) RV (1) Range Rover (1) Renault (1) Robert Graves (1) Routemaster Bus (1) Ryu Asada (1) Sammy Fox (1) Sema 2010 Auto Concept (1) Silvia (1) South Texas (1) Super TH Experiment (1) Superlift (1) Supreme Heroes (1) T-hunted (1) Target (1) Taxi (1) Tomica Limted Vintage (1) Toyota F3r Concept Car (1) Toys R Us (1) Trucks (1) Vans (1) Veritas RS 111 (1) Viper (1) as is the custom (1) bosozoku (1) buses (1) fakes (1) mail-in (1) multipack (1) off-road (1) variations in car (1) wheels (1)